There has been some hype recently about the positive effects of probiotics on bone health, and in particular a strain called Lactobacillus Reuteri. This probiotic strain is one of the most studied strains there is, but it is important to note that all probiotics are beneficial for maintaining strong healthy bones.
Acidity & Bone Health
Deterioration in bone health is caused by an over-acidic body which is usually due to our diets - consuming too many acid forming foods can cause havoc with our bodies. Ideally, we want to have a balanced pH – not too acidic and not overly alkaline either. The body functions best in a balanced state, and health & vitality can be compromised if we get too far from the optimal pH of 7.365.
If we do become too acidic, the only way for the body to neutralise the acid is to draw calcium out of the bones. In doing this the body’s pH level is stabilised but over time it leaves bones weak and brittle.
L. Reuteri bacterium naturally lives in the gut of mammals. It is one of the most studied strains of beneficial bacteria with many proven benefits. In order to study the effects of the bacteria, it has been isolated from the human gut – not everybody is born with the same bacteria strains and not everyone has every strain.
This strain is not in the Immunity Fuel formula due to it being a human strain, and not an organic strain originating from the soil. The bacteria in Immunity Fuel are all organic soil borne bacteria – this means they originally came out of the ground and have been raised on organic fruit & vegetables. This is what nature intended – for us to take in good bacteria not found in the body by consuming food grown in probiotic rich soil.
These days the soil is largely depleted of goodness and many foods grown are sprayed with chemicals so this natural way of getting good bacteria is no longer as good an option as it used to be. Immunity Fuel is certified organic and contains a comprehensive list of Lactobacillus strains of bacteria, which all work together to perform their functions in the body, one of which is to alkalise an acidic gut. Further to this the bacteria are alive and are fermented with organic wholefoods, providing vital nutrients also important for bone and joint health.
Damian, Director of Immunity Fuel Limited, talks a little bit more about this:
Probiotics for Bone Health
Probiotics, in their nature are alkalising – so any good quality, natural organic probiotics, especially multiple strains working together, can help to improve bone health by restoring the pH balance in an overly acidic environment.
In conjunction with this, changing to a low acid diet - by removing or reducing acid forming foods and increasing alkaline forming foods - can help to restore the pH balance in the body.
Once the acidic conditions are neutralised, the body will no longer need to pull vital minerals such as calcium from the bones to try to counteract the acid.
Symptoms of an over-acidic body
- Low energy
- Muscle pain
- Joint pain
- Stomach pain
- Sensitive teeth / gums
- Short of breath
- Feeling cold (esp. hands & feet)
- Dry dull skin & hair
Ways to create an optimal pH balance
- Reduce intake of acid forming foods such as fried foods, refined sugars, meat, white flour, dairy.
- Eat more fresh organic green leafy vegetables.
- Limit alcohol consumption – alcohol is highly acidic, so reducing intake can help to stabilise pH.
- Drink plenty of water, and alkalise it if you can (by adding baking soda which is highly alkalising).
- Reduce consumption of caffeinated drinks.
- Drink lemon water (lemons are acidic, however once digested the by-products are alkaline.
- Reduce stress and increase exercise. These 2 things go hand in hand, it is well known that increased physical activity can reduce feelings of stress and anxiety which can help create an alkaline environment.
- Take a good quality, natural, multi-strain probiotic with LIVE bacteria and wholefood nutrients, such as Immunity Fuel.
Damian & Elizabeth
IMMUNITY FUEL lTD